Public Works

Request Service or Report Problems

Call 973-427-5330 to request service or to report problems with:

  • Sewer backups (after hours, 973-427-2501)
  • Potholes
  • Street signs and traffic lights
  • Condition of recreational fields
  • Landscaper Permit
  • Road Opening Permit (PDF)
Men Working Outside

Dig Safely

Dig Safely by calling 800-272-1000 for utility mark-outs before you dig in New Jersey. It’s the law!

Road Opening Permits

Road Opening Permits (PDF) can be obtained in the DPW office, 2nd floor municipal building, 445 Lafayette Avenue

County Road Opening Permit

Call Passaic County Road Department 973-881-4500 for more information about County Road Opening Permits.

New Sewer & Water Connections

If you are connecting to the water or sanitary sewer system, there is a $3,000 charge per system. The application form can be filled out in the DPW office on the second floor of the municipal building at 445 Lafayette Avenue

Landscaper Registration

Landscapers (PDF) who do business in Hawthorne have to register in the DPW office on the second floor of the municipal building. There is no fee at this time. Landscapers must provide a business card and a customer list (addresses only).