Registrar of Vital Statistics
The Registrar of Vital Statistics is responsible for maintaining and administering records of vital statistics. The Registrar issues marriage licenses. The Registrar also provides certified copies of marriage licenses, birth certificates and death certificates.
Fee for copy of Vital Record:
- $10 first copy
- $5 each additional copy
Fee for a marriage license, civil union license, or to register a domestic partnership is WAIVED from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023..
All fees payable by cash or check.
When applying for a marriage license:
- New Jersey residents will file for the license in the town where either of the applicants is a resident.If the applicants are not residents of the state of New Jersey, apply for the marriage license in the town where the ceremony takes place.
- There is a 72-hour waiting period from the time the application is signed until the license can be issued. It is recommended that you apply for your license between 2 to 4 weeks prior to the wedding date.
Requirements for a Marriage License
- The couple must appear before the Registrar along with 1 witness over the age of 18 who must know the couple.
- Birth certificates or passports are suggested documents to show proof of age.
- If either of the couple are divorced, the Registrar must be shown a copy of the divorce papers or know the filed date and docket number on them.
- If either are a widow or widower spouse, the Registrar must be shown a copy of the death certificate of the deceased
Minors Applying for Marriage License
Any person under the age of 18 needs parental consent papers signed by both parents. If under the age of 16, parental papers and a form signed by a judge are required. These forms are available at the Registrar's Office.
No License Without...
No license will be released from this office without the following information:
- The intended date of the wedding
- The name and address or contact number of the person performing the wedding
- The intended location of the wedding
Fee WAIVED from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023.
Couples wishing to register a Domestic Partnership must be same sex couples or opposite sex couples who are both 62 years of age or older. Certain requirements must be met.
Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
Applicants must obtain an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership in any municipality throughout the State of New Jersey. The affidavit does not have to be obtained in the municipality that the partners reside. It must be completed and signed by both applicants at the same time, in the presence of a Notary Public.
Filing Affidavit & Fee
The affidavit must be filed and registered with the local Registrar of Vital Statistics in any municipality within the State of New Jersey, and the required filing fee is WAIVED from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. The municipality is not limited to the municipality in which the partners reside.
Domestic partners are not considered registered until the affidavit has been filed with the local Registrar's Office and the Certificate of Domestic Partnership has been issued.
For further information, please call the Health Office at 973-427-4011.
For two persons to establish a Civil Union in this state, they must:
- Not be in a party to another Civil Union, Domestic Partnership or Marriage (except that a couple already registered in a domestic partnership may then enter into a Civil Union).
- Be of the same sex
- Be at least 18 years of age
Submitting an Application to Obtain a Civil Union License
The Civil Union license shall be issued by the licensing officer (Registrar) in the municipality in which either party resides and is valid in any municipality in the State of New Jersey, or, if neither party is a resident of the state, in the municipality in which the proposed Civil Union is to be performed and the license is valid only in that municipality and must be marked as such.
Appointment for Application & Fee
The fee for applying is WAIVED from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023, cash or check, collected at the time of application. An appointment for filing the application may be made by calling 973-427-4011 or 973-427-4012.