Under both state law and local ordinances, the Borough Clerk is entrusted with numerous and diverse duties. The following is a list of the functions performed by the Clerk and staff:
As Secretary to the Municipal Council
· Attends all meetings and records official minutes of the governing body.
· Handles municipal correspondence (incoming and outgoing).
· Prepares meeting agendas.
· Processes, records, files and advertises ordinances.
· Processes, records, files and when required by law, advertises resolutions.
· Processes, records, files and advertises the municipal budget.
· Administers and records oaths of office.
· Maintains custody of all official records not specifically handled by other departments.
As Secretary of the Municipal Corporation
· Maintains custody of the municipal seal.
· Signs the majority of official documents, attests signatures of municipal officers and officials.
· Maintains receipt of service of legal documents.
As Election Official
· Registers voters.
· Certifies vacancies existing on the local level.
· Maintains receipt of nominating petitions and certification to the County Clerk of local candidates nominated by petition.
· Exercises quasi-judicial authority in determining the validity of petitions.
· Conducts the drawing for position of candidates on the local ballot.
· Furnishes material for local election.
· Maintains receipt of election results.
· Certifies to the County Clerk the names of persons elected to partisan county committee offices in each election district.
· Canvasses the votes for and certifies election of candidates for local office at the primary, general and municipal elections.
As Administrative Official
· Considered the "Custodian of Records" and processes requests for documents and/or records.
· Issues licenses (liquor, bingo, raffles, amusement devices, solicitors, auto livery and used car lot)
· Issues assessment search certificates.
· Handles complaints of all kinds.
· Receives and files performance bonds.
· Directs correspondence and inquiries for action to various municipal departments.
Conducts business with other municipal departments as directed by the governing body.