- Internal Affairs
Citizen Complaint Information Sheet
The members of the Hawthorne Police Department are committed to providing law enforcement services that are fair, effective and impartially applied. It is in the best interests of everyone that your complaint about the performance of an individual officer is resolved fairly and promptly. The Hawthorne Police Department has formal procedures for investigating your complaint. These procedures ensure fairness and protect the rights of both citizens and law enforcement officers.
- Your complaint will be sent to a superior officer or a specially trained internal affairs officer who will conduct a thorough and objective investigation.
- You might be asked to help in the investigation by giving a detailed statement about what happened or providing other important information.
- All complaints against law enforcement officers are thoroughly investigated. You will be advised in writing of the outcome of the investigation.
- If our investigation shows that a crime might have been committed, the county prosecutors office will be notified.
- If our investigation results in an officer being charged with a violation of department rules, you may be asked to testify in a departmental hearing.
- If our investigation shows that the complaint is unfounded or that an officer acted properly, the matter will be closed.
- All disciplinary hearings shall be closed to the public unless the defendant officer requests an open hearing.
You may call the internal affairs investigator at 973-304-2057 with additional information or any question about the case.